So you just bought a new house. You've begun to pack your belongings. Moving day is scheduled. Before you jump the gun and start transferring everything to the new house, there are a few things you can do to make the process of moving in to your new home smooth and easy. Check out our to-do list of ten things to do before moving day.
1. Change your address with the post office. Make sure to do this in plenty of time for things to be switched over. You don't want to have to keep going back to the old house to pick up mail. And don't forget to do the same with any magazine subscriptions or other home deliveries.
2. Transfer utilities. Surprisingly, this is a step many people don't think about until an issue comes up. Turn on the utilities in your new home a few days in advance so you can take care of any tasks that need to be completed before move-in day.
3. While you're at it, set up your new internet, phone, and cable service. You'll probably need the internet and phone sooner than you think.
4. Pest-proof the house. Even if you don't see any pests, they could still be there. Set up a service schedule with your local exterminator, or simply set off a bug bomb before you move in.
5. Do a deep clean. This will be much easier to do before the house is filled with "stuff." You'll have access to all areas without having to move heavy items or reorganize. Bonus: you get to move in to a sparkling clean home.
6. Check out the neighborhood. Locate the nearest grocery store, coffee shop, post office, etc. While you're at it, buy a few drinks and snacks to keep in the new house for moving day.
7. Meet the neighbors. Curious neighbors might stop by to introduce themselves when you're unloading and unpacking, or they might not. Make an effort to get to know them early on. Your neighbors have a wealth of information and advice about the area that you'd otherwise have to research yourself.
8. Change the locks. This is important! There's always a chance that a stray spare key or two could be floating around somewhere. Re-key or replace locks and doorknobs to avoid any issues.
9. Paint. It doesn't matter if you plan to paint just one room or all of them. Doing it before you move in makes life so much easier. If you don't need to paint anything at all...well, you're one lucky homeowner!
10. Pre-stock the new place with essentials. Some things you might need before or while moving in: toilet paper, paper towels, cleaning supplies, and items like paper plates and plastic utensils.
Do you have any other tips for things that should be done prior to moving in to a new home?