Finding the right real estate agent to help you buy or sell a home is vital to a successful real estate transaction. We can’t stress how important it is that you get along with your agent and develop a good working relationship in order to keep things moving smoothly. Let’s look at some of the signs that you’ve chosen the perfect real estate agent for you.
1. They know the area well. A good real estate agent will spend time getting to know his or her city and the neighborhoods therein. They should have information about things like home value trends, average commute times, shops and restaurants in the area, schools, and zoning and geographic factors that might affect your usage or insurance requirements.
2. They respond to you in a timely manner. Whether you’re in the beginning, middle, or end of a real estate transaction, your agent should be in close contact with you. They should be available to answer your questions or within a reasonable timeframe. They should email or call you back within a couple of hours, if only to let you know that they’re tied up at the moment and will call back when they have more time. Give them a little bit of leeway if you’re contacting them outside of normal business hours, however. Real estate agents have families and lives outside of their job, too.
3. You like being around them. There’s no way around it; if you don’t like your real estate agent personally, you’re not going to enjoy the house-hunting and buying or selling process.
4. They asked you to get pre-approved for a mortgage (or helped you do so). Any real estate agent who knows what’s what will ask you if you’re pre-approved for a home loan before they start any real work with you. They’re professionals who know their business, and they don’t want to waste their time or yours.
5. They’re proactive. A good agent won’t sit back and wait for you to send them listings you like and want to see. They’ll have a list of questions to ask you, and then they’ll go to work searching out the perfect house for you. They should also be able to suggest the little things you’re not thinking of, or help you pull back and look at the bigger picture.
6. They really listen to you. Some agents might try to nudge you in the direction of what they want you to buy, not what’s best for you. The right agent will listen thoughtfully to your wants and needs and take them into consideration before presenting you with a list of possible homes.
7. They’re brutally honest. Honesty is important in any relationship, whether it’s a friendly one, a romantic one, or a working one. The right real estate agent will be honest with you, even if it means inconveniencing themselves or taking a hit on commission.
8. They don’t quit on you. The right agent won’t just give up when something doesn’t work out. Say you found a home you really love, but your offer gets passed over for another one. If your agent knows you’ve really fallen for that house, they’ll keep an eye on the deal in case it falls through, giving you a second chance to make it yours. Good real estate agents are innovative and and creative. They should be willing to help you figure out a sticky situation without getting discouraged or giving up.9. They keep in touch. Truly great real estate agents look to build relationships with their clients. They appear interested in what’s going on in your life and keep in touch even after the deal is closed. Look for them to send the occasional note or an annual Christmas card.
If you're still searching for the right real estate agent for you, you're in luck! Our team of agents excel in providing personalized, boutique service and are willing to go above and beyond to help you buy or sell a home any time. Get in touch with us today for the best service in the Lowcountry.